Monday 20 July 2015

Week 7

My next modelling task was the proxy for Scene 6. Edden had already started the scene in class the previous week and there were already some basic rocks and stalactites. However, the scene Edden had started were basically just simple planes so I had a fair bit to sculpt and move vertices around.




I showed the above screenshot to the modelling leader who told me it needed to be curved more and I did so, as shown in the below image. It needed to be more curved to allow for a camera view that effectively showed the cave and the wall in the shot.


Nathan's example of how to change it.

 

Later on, I had to completely restart the Scene 6 Proxy. I was given this simple mesh to work on.


I added many edge loops and smooth sculpted it.


The hole in the scenery was too straight and thus, unrealistic. It needed to look more like it had been cracked opened and so I adjusted it to make it look like it had been.




At first, I filled the hole with small rocks but then was told to make just one but so that the hole would still be visible in certain rocks. I sculpted a rock to show that. 





Finally, I made sure the scene could be viewed the way as the storyboard depicted.




I made some more progress with the Voodoo project too. Sarah approved of my concept sketches of the assets as being on the right track. Also the 3D plan of the room was approved although Sarah decided to make changes to it.







I also made some more progress with my Lighthouse project. I researched many different types of lighthouses and some lighthouse plans for inspiration and to generate concepts. These can be seen in my Art Bible post.

Although Week 7 was a study break week, I went in to uni on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday along with classmates to work on the major project. This was useful as it allowed quick for communication in person and quick feedback. Also, we all had to be there on Wednesdays for our KPI (Key Performance Indicator) meetings with out tutor. During these sessions and then the remaining three days of the week, I made more progress on the scene 6 environment, scene 13 tree, door and stalactites proxies.





At first, I started modelling the tree from Scene 13 merely only looking at the model sheet but then decided it would be better to actually try to make the tree actually by making the model transparent and adjusting the vertices to fit the shape. After doing so, I was told the branches were too side on and aligned which was unrealistic for a tree. I thus decided to adjust their positions to make them less aligned.

Original Artwork
Model Sheet
First attempt
Completed proxy



No comments:

Post a Comment